Sunday, September 7, 2008

And I read on...

I love the feeling of cracking open a new book. I don't necessarily mean a shiny book, fresh from the store, one that hasn't ever been touched before (other than the shelfer's fingers). The kind of experience I am referring to is the opening of a book I have never before read, but I can feel the excitement shiver through my fingers as I begin reading the first lines.

The grand moment surfaces when what first began as curious glancing suddenly becomes voracious pouring as my eyes slide back and forth across the pages. I plunge myself headfirst into a world outside of my own, ready to think and feel and see the thoughts of a newly introduced character--ready to discover the story that lies at my waiting fingertips, itching to turn the pages.

I usually don't surface for hours. I come out of the world of fiction long enough for the necessities--most of them involving children--but mostly my head is in the story, and I have not deserted it for long. If a book of a few hundred pages or less takes more than two, maybe three, days to finish, it is definitely not a book worth reading because it has not made me desperate enough to want to know the ending. This is saying something.

If I could picture any perfect moment for my life--visualize what my heart truly desires from my existence--I would see myself in a pretty little room curled up on a large overstuffed chair (white and pale blue), looking lovely and blissful and serene, reading a book by an open window (probably shaded by a big tree with tweeting birds).

I believe this would be my heaven, my reason now for living my life the best way I know how. I do dishes and laundry and play with my children and make meals and keep up my house and love my life--all culminating in the breathless moment when I can fling myself into a chair and read. It is a luxury many in my place have denied themselves, saying it is too frivolous and time-consuming a pursuit. I agree. And yet I happily read on.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Megan... Ha! That is the best idea ever. I love the idea of sitting in the house with the shade of a big tree. I especially like the picture you put up because that is exactly what my dream has been for a very long time! Go back in time where everyone wears those big poofy dresses and do things that they used to do! Like Reading. Yay!

Unknown said...

Megan...It's Jann (Val's Daughter). Val sent me your blog address and I love it. I too love to read. It is my passion as well. My "dream reading day" would be sitting by the fire place, book in hand, drinking my hot chocolate while it is bitter cold outside. Or reading on a cloudy stormy day...very ideal for reading! Great blog! Visit mine! www.webbyroo.blogspot.com

megs said...

Jann! I'm so happy you found me! I think the "Cozy reading setting" is also in my dream fantasy. I'm glad we're of one mind!

Lauren Mazie said...

Wow Megan. That speaks to my soul.